The first time I ever tried to “drink my greens” was almost 5 years ago. I was just starting a plant-based diet and decided to add some greens in with my morning smoothie.
I was…not having it.
Fast-forward to now, and I actually wake up craving a fresh juice packed full of healthy veggies and delicious fruit. Palates change and – after much trial and error – I have learned which combinations I love and which should be avoided at all cost.
This recipe is a nice and easy one I’ve been enjoying every morning for the past few weeks. I eat plenty of green veggies in their whole form throughout the day, but I find that this juice gives me the extra boost of energy I want and ensures that several of my important nutritional needs get met throughout the day.
Give it a try, even if you’ve never tried green juice before. If you’re just starting out, add another apple or two and work your way down. Ideally, you want the focus to be the good, healthy, leafy stuff!
Easy and Delicious Green Juice
- 3-5 large kale leaves (work your way up!)
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 small cucumber or 1/2 a large cucumber
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 1-2 small green apples (work your way down!)
- 1-inch piece of ginger
All juicers are different, and the speed or quality of your juicer can yield different amounts of juice. I use the Omega Vert and LOVE it, and this recipe yields about 10-12 oz for me, which is the perfect size to sip in the morning as I make breakfast. Try adding coconut water for more volume and great taste!
- Put a mesh strainer or screen over whatever you’re juicing into. This makes the juice smoother by removing even more pulp and foam.
- Start with your leafy greens, and use the harder fruits and veggies to push the soft stuff through completely. It helps me to chop up the celery, as this keeps the long stringy fibers from clogging up my juicer.